This recipe came to me from one of my dear friends Jennifer Greene. She loves to bake and while I was at her house she made up this delicious coffee cake. I couldn’t help but ask her for the recipe. She gave it to me and showed me her secrets to making this a simply delicious cake…and very moist too! Definitely a must for the fall season and a great way to use up some of those apples that are still hanging around!!
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine - softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sour cream*
- Streusel Filling
- 2 medium apples - peeled, cored and diced
- 1 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp butter or margarine - melted
* you can substitute plain yogurt for sour cream, it's tastes the same and makes for a healthy alternative!!
1. Preheat oven to 350° In a large bowl cream together sugar and butter. Add the vanilla and eggs and stir until well blended.
2. Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and mix together.
3. Add the flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture alternating with plain yogurt. Mix well after each addition. Begin and end with the flour mixture.
4. In a small bowl combine the filling ingredients.
5. In a well greased bundt pan spread a thin layer of the batter. Next, layer the streusel topping and apples. Repeat, ending with a layer of the batter.
6. Place in oven and bake for 50-55 minutes or until cake bounces back when you touch it.
7. Allow to cool a few minutes before flipping onto a place. Tastes the best when served warm with some cool whip or ice cream on the side!!
- Recipe Type: Bread